Framed, and located in the bar area, is the original copy of the Articles of Association for the Platteville Country Club which was filed with the State of Wisconsin on February 28, 1921. The club rented eighty acres of land from 1921 to 1956 on which the original nine-hole layout was developed and a small clubhouse constructed. At one time the rent for the land was $600 per year! There was an active mine located on the site of the present tennis courts until sometime in the 1950’s. We are currently seeking any information on how the club/course was developed and managed during these early years from 1921-1956. Older written records are unavailable prior to 1956 and pictures are limited. Any assistance would be appreciated.
On February 16, 1956, the Articles of Incorporation were officially granted by the State of Wisconsin for the formation of the Platteville Golf and Country Club. The three co-signers of these Articles were John Horne, Paul B. Cardin and John Caton. The first organization meeting of the club was held at the Council Chamber of the Platteville Municipal building at 8:15 p.m. on Thursday February 23, 1956. Thirty five members were present. The newly formed Board of Directors budgeted $50,000 for the purchase of the land from Ethyl Crandit and the construction of a new clubhouse. By 1958 the club’s membership had grown to 173 members.
Since these early years, there have been three major additions to the clubhouse built in 1956 and many alterations. The course has increased from a 9-hole layout (1921-1984) to a twelve-hole layout in 1984 when three holes were developed on land just south of the clubhouse. The final holes were developed on the 39.5 acres just west of Second Street in 1986. This land had been purchased in 1968 and placed in land bank or farmed until needed. As with many club projects, members provided many volunteer hours and various services/equipment were provided at little or no cost. The new holes opened for play on July 1, 1986.
In 2005 the club bought 19.5 acres of land just north of #18 fairway. A new driving range opened on a portion of this land in 2006. The club now owns 139.5 acres and there are three wells on the property as of 2012.
The club bar area was updated in the winter of 2016 and the pro shop in January 2017.
The Junior Golf Program, previously called the “Rookie” Program, has been in existence since the early 1950’s. Instruction on golf skills, etiquette, terminology and games is provided for young golfers ages 7-18. Over sixty juniors participate in this program each summer under the direction of Club Professional and his staff.
Family dues in 1962 were $80.24! The Green fees were $1.75 on weekdays and $2.50 on Saturday, Sunday and holidays.
Dick McKichan has won the Men’s Club Championship 25 times and Pat McWilliams has won the Women’s Club Championship 10 times. Dick McKichan and Rob Udelhofen have each shot 30 on the front nine and Mick 29 on the back nine.
Garrett Jones has the low 18-hole record of 34-31=65* from the blue tees. *White tees used on #4, #5, & #18 for this event. Rick Miles and Mitch Bowers have each shot 66 using the blue tees.
Pat McWilliams has the women’s 18 hole record of 35-39=74 that was recorded in 1989.
Since record keeping began at the club, there have been over 85 hole –in-one’s since 1983.
DuWayne Stuelke/March 2012